FIFA on Sunday revealed the identity of the centre referee in Tuesday’s match between the Super Eagles of Nigeria and the Albiceleste of Argentina.
The game, which will be played at the St Petersburg Stadium by 7pm Nigerian time, is the last group D match as Croatia vs Iceland will also hold simultaneously.
These are the 5 facts about the referee;
- He officiated Argentina’s semi-final clash against Netherlands at the 2014 World Cup which Argentina won 4-2 on penalties.
- On 24 April 2012, he officiated the Champions League semifinal between FC Barcelona and Chelsea at Camp Nou, Barcelona. Çakır sent off John Terry in first half. Chelsea won 3-2 on aggregate, although the match ended in a 2-2 draw.
- Çakır officiated the 2015 UEFA Champions League Final match between Juventus vs. Barcelona which the Catalans won.
- In all Lionel Messi has never lost a game refereed by Cakir, and there have been eight of such games.
- He has refereed more than 250 games in the Turkish Super Liga.